ATASCII Compo Rules
- Do not break any laws like copyright, etc.
- Inappropriate entries may be disqualified or simply ignored.
- Everybody can participate.
- Upload your entries here (A link for submissions will appear on the main page in time.)
- Your entry must stay unreleased until the compo is over.
- No conversions or similar. Please provide handmade ASCII only.
- Genuine and new artworks preferred. Adaptations of old artworks, spinoffs, covers, remixes, mash-ups, etc. must be declared as such.
- It’s all about fun.
- Maximum entries per person: 5
- Submission deadline: See main page.
- Colours: One character for the background and one for the foreground (to be exact: same colour with different brightness)
- Resolution in characters: width 40, height 24-28 (Atari standard height is 24, Playscii standard is 25, 28 would still be visible well on Atari PAL and NTSC versions)
- Stay within the given restrictions
- Do not use enhanced techniques (tricks) to add more colours, pixels, animations, etc.
- We recommend to use Playscii with the ATASCII Exporter as editor
- Download and installation instructions are here
- Usage of Playscii is described here
- This year we have an anonymous sponsor for prizes again. A huge thank you to him. Here are the prizes for the first 3 ranked persons:
1. Prize: USB NES pad + 60 EUR
2. Prize: PETSCII Robots Atari XL/XE game boxed + 50 EUR
3. Prize: Laura Atari XL/XE boxed + 40 EUR
- The money from the sponsor will be paid onto an EU bank account or via PayPal.
- The winner agree to give their address / IBAN / PayPal-Email for this purpose.
- Additional prizes might be given as well.
- Provide following files:
within one zip file (do not use rar or 7z):
- File runnable with an emulator and on real machines:
- Exported .xex file obligatory
- Screenshot/preview as .png file
- Use Altirra emulator and export the screenshot/frame (View->Save frame / Alt+F10)
Description file (name it file_id.diz or info.txt)
Source file(s) if possible (usually a .psci file)
Steps are not necessary but welcome
- You now only need to provide the xex file and a screenshot. That's it. The description file gets generated automatically. Additional files are optional only.
- Avoid special characters in filenames
- Name all mentioned files identically (except of the extension) if possible
- Does not count for file_id.diz obviously
- All entries, that do not apply to the rules, will be put into the Wild category
- For example, added features like:
- positioned and altered character
Template for file_id.diz (download) - Optional!
<Name of Release>
Author: <Name of Author or Handle / Group>
Category: <type of release; e.g. ATASCII>
System: ATARI 800
<your description here>
<notes to the organizers>
<extended description with details about tools used, etc.>
Example for file_id.diz (download)
Author: Max / Superstars
System: ATARI 800
What a wonder
Created using Playscii with ATASCII Exporter